Quasi Dictum

A place for educational perspectives and opinions. Legalese: The statments at this site are of the writers only. Quasi Dictum has no control over the information you access via links, does not endorse that information and cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information provided.

Name:
Location: Vancouver, WA, United States

Teacher

Monday, September 18, 2006

Good article at Slate.com about the myths of homework:

"It has been drilled into our collective psyche that rigorous schools assign rigorous homework," Cartland wrote. "I recognize that this is a ridiculous thought process, particularly since your research suggests otherwise, but it's hard to break the thinking on this one. How could we be a high-achieving school and not assign homework?" How indeed. I hope the education establishment begins to wrestle with this question. If not, maybe it's time to move to Japan.

1 Comments:

Blogger Travis A. Wittwer said...

Ohhhh, that is a tough one. I have spent the beginning part of this year practicing skills with my students. Not assigning homework. I modeled the idea after how sports are run. You learn a skill, practice, and then the ultimate application of the skill is the game. I teach a skill, the students learn it and we practice and practice within the classroom, and then we have a project or assessment.

I think it is possible that students are overworked with useless work just to appear busy, just because something has to be given, corrected, graded, and handed back.

I am not saying that I have an answer yet. I am still wrangling with this one.

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home